R E Y M I S T E R I O
Real name: Óscar Gutiérrez Rubio
Weight: 140 lbs.
Date of birth: December 12, 1974
Hometown: San Diego, CA
Pro debut: April 30, 1989
Trained by: Rey Misterio
Finishing move: Huracanrana
Wrestled as: El Ninio, Super Ninio, Colibri
"Amazing" does not even BEGIN to describe this truly gifted high-flyer!
Always creating a new move or variation, Mysterio continues to defy gravity and excite the crowd! Pound-for-pound one
of the fastest and most innovative ever! Rey may never win a heavyweight belt, but that does not mean he is not more
talented than 90% of the wresters in the sport today.
- Gonzales started wrestling at the age of 15. He
debuted in California under the name of Colibrí and faced Shamu.
- On October 28, 1992, Misterio Jr. captured the Comision
de Box y Lucha Libre Mexico D.F. National Welterweight title from Fantasma de la Quebrada.
- Volador, Misterioso, and
Misterio Jr. defeated Tony Arce, Vulcano, and Rocco Valente at AAA's TripleMania before 50,000 fans in Mexico City.
At TripleMania II in April 1994, Rey Misterio Sr., Misterio Jr., and Winners beat Arce, Vulcano, and Rocco Valente.
Misterio Jr. defeated Juventud Guerrera for the WWA (World Wrestling Assocation) World Lightweight title on November 30, 1994.
- In 1995, Misterio Sr. and Jr. defeated Villano IV and V for the WWA World Tag Team title.
- On April 14, 1995, Octagon,
Misterio Jr. and Super Muneco captured the Comision de Box y Lucha Libre Mexico D.F. National Trios title in Mexico City.
- Misterio Jr. pinned Psicosis on September 22, 1995, for the WWA Welterweight title in Mexico City.
- After dropping
the WWA Welterweight title back to Psicosis, Mistero Jr. re-claimed it one night later in Tijuana.
- Misterio Jr. defeated
Psicosis in a "Mexican Death" match at ECW's November to Remember '95.
- At ECW's House Party '96, 911 and Misterio Jr.
beat The Eliminators when Misterio pinned Perry Saturn.
- On June 16, 1996, Misterio Jr. once again pinned Guerrera for
the WWA Lightweight title in Queretearo, Mexico.
- At the 1996 Bash at the Beach for WCW, Mysterio Jr. pinned Psicosis.
- Mysterio Jr. defeated Dean Malenko for the WCW Cruiserweight title on July 8, 1996 in Orlando, FL.
- Misterio Jr.
defeated Guerrera at TripleMania IV - C on July 15, 1996.
- On July 20, 1996, Misterio Jr. defeated Guerrera for the WWA
Welterweight title in Tokyo.
- Mysterio Jr. pinned Psicosis at the Crush Night in Osaka, Japan on October 11, 1996.
At Spring Stampede '97, Mysterio Jr. defeated the Ultimo Dragon.
- Mysterio Jr. pinned Eddy Guerrero to win the WCW Cruiserweight
title in a "mask vs. title" match at the 1997 Halloween Havoc.
- On January 15, 1998, Mysterio Jr. pinned Guerrera for
his third WCW Cruiserweight title in Lakeland, FL.
- At SuperBrawl IX, Konnan and Mysterio Jr. lost a mask vs. hair match
to the Outsiders. As a result, Rey was forced to remove his sacred mask.
- Mysterio Jr. defeated Kidman on the March 15,
1999 episode of "Nitro" for the WCW Cruiserweight title.
- Two weeks after defeating Kidman for the Cruiserweight title,
Mysterio Jr. and Kidman teamed up to defeat Chris Benoit and Dean Malenko for the WCW World Tag Team title on the Toronto
- On April 26, 1999, Mysterio Jr. won his fifth WCW Cruiserweight title from Psicosis in Fargo, ND.
Mysterio, Jr., Guerrero, and Kidman formed the Filthy Animals.
- Mysterio Jr., Kidman, and Guerrero beat Vampiro and the
Insane Clown Posse at Road Wild '99.
- The Filthy Animals won the six man tag rematch at Fall Brawl '99.
and Mysterio Jr. won the WCW World Tag Team title from Harlem Heat on October 18, 1999 in Philadelphia. The team was stripped
of the title due to Mysterio's knee injury that required surgery.
- Mysterio Jr., Konnan, Kidman, and a new member, Juventud
Guerrera, reformed the Filthy Animals on the May 8, 2000 episode of "Nitro." Kidman was replaced by the Disco Inferno.
On August 14, 2000, Mysterio Jr. and Guerrera defeated The Great Muta and Vampiro for the WCW World Tag Team title on "Nitro."
- Due to the Disco Inferno's loss to "The Cat" Ernest Miller on the September 18, 2000 "Nitro," Mysterio Jr. and Guerrera
were stripped of the WCW World Tag Team title.
- At Mayhem 2000 in Milwaukee, WI, the Filthy Animals (Mysterio & Kidman)
defeated Alex Wright and Kronic in a handicap match.
- On the February 5, 2001 episode of "Nitro," Mysterio (under a mask
and alias of El Níno) defeated Chavo Guerrero Jr. in a non-title cruiserweight match.
- On the final "Nitro" on TNT, Mysterio
and Kidman defeated Elix Skipper and Kid Romeo for the WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team title in Panama City, FL.
- On January
6, 2002, Misterio pinned Eddie Colón for the WWC (World Wrestling Council) Junior Heavyweight title in Caguas, Puerto Rico.
- In May 2002, Misterio agreed to terms with join WWE.
- Mysterio Jr. made his WWE television debut on the July 25,
2002 edition of "Smackdown" by defeating Chavo Guerrero Jr.
- At the November 5, 2002 "Smackdown" taping in Manchester,
NH, Mysterio Jr. and Edge defeated Chris Benoit and Kurt Angle to capture the WWE Tag Team title.